Sunday, March 16, 2008

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series: #21 - Weizenbock

Given the quality of Harpoon's other beers, I opened this 22 oz. bomber of Weizenbock with high expectations.  Todd Charbonneau, the head brewer at Harpoon's Boston facility, crafts a very drinkable beer, but not a perfect one.

My senses were aroused at the sight of a finger's worth of foam and a smooth caramel aroma.  It appeared surprisingly clear for a wheat beer, chestnut in color.

The flavor was bit disappointing.  Caramel and banana overpowered the other flavors I expected; I detected only a slight amount of clove, and the spice and other fruit tastes I expected were overwhelmed .  Its medium body was weaker than I expected, although the finish was clean and smooth.

Overall, the beer was good, but not as malty as I expected, and with a much stronger banana presence than could have been intended.

7.8% ABV; Hersbrucker hops.

No comments: